An interesting question was posed in the Expats Living in Mexico Facebook Group with over 16k members and received over 200 responses. The expat group is composed of folks from all walks of life and from all around the world living in Mexico.
Question: Name one or more things you think are done better in Mexico than your home country.
(I did my best to paraphrase and consolidate them according to genre and beginning with the most popular)
Here’s how real expats living in Mexico responded.
1. The People and Culture: Warmth, wholesome, modest, friendliness, politeness, kindness, hospitality, civility, daily greetings, courtesy and respect.
2. Food: Street food made from scratch, fresh juices, fresh produce, tortillas, tacos, tortas, tamales, long lunches and the sobremesa.
3. Healthcare – both quality and cost: Mexico healthcare is fast, efficient, highly trained health care for minimal cost.
4. Doctors: They take their time and never feel rushed. I have had Dr.’s call me at home to see if I am doing well and some even give you their home phone so you can contact them.
5. Family: Family life is more of a priority as is family time and family values.
6. Quality of Life: Less stress, relaxing, chilling, family time on Sundays. There is less emphasis on materialism and more emphasis on a good life.
7. Mexican Ingenuity: Resourceful, creative and independent.
8. Cost of Living
9. Traditions, Festivals and Parties: Mexicans invented the word party.
10. Open and Accepting: Their acceptance (as a majority) of people from other countries, cultures and lifestyles with a “whatever makes you happy” kind of attitude. Mexicans are more open to foreigners.
12. Sense of Community: Mexico is full of helping hands. For example: Friends staying overnight in hospital with you and bringing food when you’re indisposed.
13. Elderly Care: There’s a higher regard and respect for the elderly(hospice etc…)
15. Mexico is just magical! I really can’t pinpoint one thing. I just love Mexico. It’s a feeling you get when you are there. It’s so beautiful: the breeze, the fresh air, the beautiful people—The Everything.
Is there anything else you would add?
Do you agree or disagree with something on this list?
I’d love to hear from you.
In the spirit of keeping this a family friendly list, there were other responses, albeit meritable that were not included in this list.